Home Maintenance Tips From an Expert in Baton Rouge
At Calvin’s Maintenance, Inc. you are our number one priority. For that reason, we have provided you with a few electrical, plumbing, heating and air tips. If you continue to have problems despite following these tips, please contact us immediately. We are always ready to come to your rescue and provide you with quality repair.
Heating and Air
- Keep the air filter clean
- Keep the thermostat set
- Keep vents and grilles unobstructed
- Keep heat away from the thermostat
- If you have an older home, have the wiring checked to make sure it meets current building codes.
- Check all appliances and extension cords for frayed or exposed wires. Open or damaged wires start a number of home fires.
- Unplug heat-producing appliances that are not in use, such as toasters, kettles, space heaters, electric frying pans and irons. On/off switches can fail, leaving the appliance on.
- Use only appliances listed by Underwriter Laboratories (UL) or the Canadian Standards Association (CSA). They are tested for safety.
- Check every faucet in your home for leaks. Just a slow drip can waste several gallons a day.
- To ensure that your valves will work when you need them to, open and close them once a year. Otherwise they may seize up over time.
- Don't pour cooking oils or fats down the drain. They will solidify in the pipes and create clogs.
- Make sure everyone in the house knows where the main water cutoff is in case of an emergency.